Regular timber swells and shrinks, causing stress on the underlying structures and unsightly gaps in the deck flooring. Accoya decks have 75% less shrinkage and swelling than normal timber decks. That means fewer maintenance costs and a more stable surface for your deck.
An Accoya deck is practically rot-proof, with 70-year minimum service life, as the Timber Research and Development Association (TRADA) stated. With its Class I durability rating, it even performs better than teak.
With its excellent stability, coatings can last up to two times longer. Coatings are easier to apply, requiring less sanding and other preparation.
When you’re finished with your Accoya deck, you can reuse the timber, recycle it, or even incinerate it with no worries. Accoya timber protects the environment from the toxic effects of other treatments.
Accoya decking is easy to work on, with no special tools required. Sawing, bolting, nailing—all the things you can do with regular timber you can do with Accoya.
Compared to other timber — both soft and hardwoods – Accoya timber provides improved insulation. When you need to conserve energy, Accoya is a perfect choice.
LOOKING FOR HELP BUILDING YOUR DECK?
How does Accoya Perform?
- Durability: In testing by Scion, a New Zealand timber research firm, Accoya scored higher in durability than other naturally durable and preservative-treated timber, giving it the highest possible rating for durability. It can last 50 years in an above-ground installation and 25 years in freshwater or in-ground installations.
- Water ingress: Accidents can happen. Whether exposure to water comes from damage by a fallen branch or a mistake in installation, it pays to have timber that can stand up to water. In testing on deliberately poorly constructed L-joints by the UK’s Building Research Establishment (BRE), Accoya wood showed no damage from rot or decay over 15 years’ time, while non-acetylated wood showed major structural damage.
- Longevity: The BRE also tested Accoya for estimated longevity in exterior applications. Even in the UK’s cool, moist climate, researchers estimated that Accoya timber would enjoy 60 years of useful life.
- Termite resistance: In testing performed by the Australian Forest Research Company (AFRC), Accoya wood showed only a mass loss of 8.5%, compared to percentages of 49% to 100% for other naturally durable types of wood.
As you can see, an investment in an Accoya timber deck is an investment for a lifetime. Read more about Accoya’s performance in tests throughout the world in Accoya’s full-length research report.
How to Maintain your Accoya Deck
- When installing your Accoya deck, make sure that you treat and coat all cut ends with a product approved for Accoya.
- Clean your deck regularly with an Accoya-approved cleaning solution.
- Each year give your deck a deep cleaning. After the yearly deep cleaning, apply an approved coating protectant with a soft cloth, giving an extra layer of protection to your coating.
- For mould and algae cleaning, wash affected areas with a solution of household bleach diluted with water (three parts water to one part bleach). After you remove the mould or algae, rinse with clean water.
Why choose Decking Perth for your Accoya decking project?
Here at Decking Perth, you can have the deck of your dreams when you choose your timber from our fine range of Accoya decking products. With expert knowledge and high-quality, high-performance products, we can help you with everything from choosing the right colour and design for your project to the installation itself.
For your free quote and expert advice, get in touch with us today.